Using the materials in autonomous training:
- We would recommend that you form a small group with colleagues who are willing to work with this material. This will give rise to fruitful exchanges which will help construct useful knowledge. In these modules, we will often indicate precisely at which moments these discussions should take place. Needless to say, it is perfectly possible to do this work alone if the circumstances do not permit otherwise.
- We also recommend that you download the documents which you will find on the page which features the module you are going to work on (cf. the menu on the left). This will make your task easier!
- The power-point is the backbone of every module. You will start from this presentation, and it will indicate at which point(s) you will need to go to the other documents.
- Each module will require two to three hours to complete. It is always possible to stop working and to take up the task later on.
The training kit comprises 4 modules:
1. The Discovery module
The aim of this module is to allow the participants to carry out an activity as learners themselves and to discover pluralistic approaches, their link to the notion of plurilingual and pluricultural competence as presented in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, as well as the tools (which can be found on the same site) proposed by FREPA.
2. FREPA and educational language policies
This module is meant for teachers, teacher trainers and educational decision makers, for whom it seems to be of particular relevance. The module allows language professionals to situate FREPA in today’s context of language teaching/learning at school, especially as far as educational goals are concerned.
3. I am having difficulty in my teaching … How can FREPA be of use to me?
This module is meant for teachers and teacher trainers : it supports them in organising a concrete use of the FREPA, as well as the pluralistic approaches, in view of certain difficulties concerning teaching and general pedagogical issues which teaching staff are likely to encounter in their everyday practice.
4. I wish to carry out a project with my students … How can FREPA be of use to me?
This module is meant principally for teachers and teacher trainers and aims to support them in making use of the framework and pluralistic approaches in the design and implementation of class or school projects which involve other languages and other cultures.
The Discovery module should be enough to ensure an effective use of the FREPA tools. The other modules take the user to further depth, and can be used as a supplement, according to his/her circumstances and needs.
Modules 1 and 3 cannot be undertaken unless the user has already worked through the Discovery module. On the other hand, Module 2 can be tackled without having previously done the Discovery module. It is in fact quite possible to take up the Discovery module after one has already started Module 2, and to come back to this module afterwards.
The bibliography-sitography offers several routes to a better understanding of pluralistic approaches, as well as sources which can help to discover teaching materials which reflect the principles of these approaches.
It should help particularly in situating the works mentioned in the modules.
Access to bibliography-sitography